venerdì 8 febbraio 2013

Tutorial: How to get ready a resin miniature


Hi Guys
This article, the first in our new blog, will explain how I prepare a miniature before painting it.
Certainly you have already seen this topic but It is always fundamental so to get good results!

I will use for this demonstration this stunning piece sculpted by Allan Carrasco a few years ago, Bugne – L’ogre moussaillon.
    

This piece is made in resin. Now I will show you all the stepsthat I do to clean, to build and to pinn a resin miniature
    

- First I remove the fusion lines. In this case the lines were few and light. Thank you producing company for saving me lot of time!  :)
To remove the bulk of defects I initially use scalpel blade made by Staedtler (you can find it in Arts shop).
It's a good tool but pay attention to the blade, It's extremely sharp.
I usually use it without the handle to be more precise and careful with the difficult parts.
    

- Secondly I use very fine sandpaper (800-1000). Beware of passing it over fine details.
    

- Lastly I use a refining sponge or abrasive sponge.
It's quite useful and you can find it in most hardware shops. They come from different brands and grit sizes, just as sandpaper. They are very useful in cleaning the widest areas.
The use is very simple and intuitive.
The best aspect is the consistency, it's so soft you can reach every niches.
Also in this case don't use it directly on details or you will risk ruining them.
    
   

- After cleaning the piece, I cleanse it with soap, water and a toothbrush, to remove the dirt we produced previously.
    

- Now that the piece is cleaned, I glue the parts with Attak (super glue) that works well on resin.
This piece is quite light so I will not use any pins between all the parts, but I strongly recommend pinning in case of metal pieces and those heavier made in resin.
    

- Before filling the gaps on the fixed mini, I put pins in the feet so that I can put it on some cork cap.
As pin I use normal nail without the head (I removed the head with some pliers).
I match the size of the nails with the size of the drills.
I recommend you to use the drills directly with your hands (without handle), so to be more in control of the operation.
    
    
    

- Once done, I fill the gaps and the little holes in the piece with epoxy putty (Magic Sculpt).
To start I apply the putty with a small metal spatula.
    

- I use a wet brush to apply evenly and uniformly the putty. Follow the curves of the sculpture exaclty as you do painting. If the pieces is well done and without defects, this operation will be quick.
Remember that with some putty you just need water to wet the brush, while for others it's better to use alcohol.
Read by the instructions if the epoxy you are using must be diluited with water or alchool.
    
    

- Now the piece is ready for priming. Remember that cleaning the miniature is the first very important step to start to paint in optimal conditions.
    


Thank you for reading and see you soon with new tutorials
Max “Amon” Richiero

Article and Pics by: Max "Amon" Richiero
Translation by: Andrea "Kraan" Buratta
  





1 commenti:

  1. as the wise man says... That's one small step for a modeller, one giant leap for mankind!!

    RispondiElimina