giovedì 27 giugno 2013

Throgg the troll king

Hello Guys

Today what I'm showing you is one of my latest works,
It's a collaboration with the talented sculptor and friend Carmine "Thor" Giuliani who oversaw just all part of the sculpture and editing.
The subject is taken from a book illustration of "warriors of chaos" warhammer fantasy or rather "Throgg the troll king" that Carmine decided to add a troll in a dog version to emphasize its status of superiority towards common trolls.




After assembling the scene, I decided that I would have opted for a very thin and rocky terrain.
So I started giving to airbrush the bases of the two pieces and a first draft of lights and shadows, the idea is to make more light the "little dog" and much darker Throgg ...




Throughout the painting process I only used Allegro colors.
For Throgg I used the dark green to which I added both to the lights for the shadows of cool colors
While on the "Dog" I prefer to use a mixture of different green with warm tones.
So that the two subjects are different not only for a game of light/dark, but also for a warm/cold tones.
To accentuate this warm/cold effect, because I was not really satisfied, I made a further washing with pelikan inks, on Throgg I used a purplish blue, instead on the dog a yellow-orange ink by pellikan.
(You can do this operation without making the typical glossy effect by inks due to the fact that "Allegro" colors are really very opaque)

At the end, for the ambience, I chose very simple colors so that it simply meant that it's a background for the two subjects..






The piece was a real challenge for me but at the same time it's a great satisfaction to be able to put the brush on a "unique" piece like this one especially if the work of sculpture has got a so high quality

Andrea "R.I.P." Nicolini

2 commenti:

  1. That is incredible sculpting! Masterful!

    RispondiElimina
  2. Seconded! Lovely painjob for a lovely sculpt, you guys smashed it, keep smiling :)

    RispondiElimina