lunedì 20 maggio 2013

DREAM AND NIGHTMARE

Hi Guys!!
Today I present one of my latest works:
DREAM AND NIGHTMARE




Before to start a big project I always try to got an idea to create an only one piece and in this case I chose to make a skit reversible.

THE IDEA:
The scene takes place on 2 sides and it is composed by the same elements, on one hand we see a child get out of a mirror landing on the "DREAMS" land, a lively and colorful room with toys of different types, while on the other hand, the scene is repeated but this time the protagonist is catapulted into the "Nightmare" where the same toys come to life and turn into monsters with sharp fangs, all in a cold tones and a creepy atmosphere.

THE SCENE:
I wanted this project unique in all its parts, and so I decided to sculpt everything by the beginning.

The first thing I made is the base for my scene using plywood to create the floor and the wall.
For the frame of the mirror and the skirting I used the balsa wood for ship models.
Finally I plastered with wall putty the imperfection and with the same putty I also made the floor tiles, spreading it evenly over the surface and then engraving it with a metal tip.

For the main character and the toys I used a mixture of 50%  Fimo soft and 50% Gray sculpey.
After cooking sculps in the oven I finished them adding the details in Magic sculpt.
Usually always use this method because I like to be able to refine the materials with metal spikes and sandpaper, for details I prefer the Magic sculpt because is more "sticky" and it attaches well to the surface.

I tried to keep a "playful" style and then I decided to sculpt a chubby child and work on him facial expressions.



Instead for toys I decided to sculpt the various elements of the larger scale than the child, just because the two scenes represent a dream world and children usually dream big toys, when I was a child I remained enchanted by the toy shop windows where they were often exposed oversized puppets and large games to attract attention!



After preparing all the elements I tried to arrange them in various ways to got an idea of ​​the final scene.
It's important, in works as this one, got no gaps and balance well the scene through the arrangement of all subjects.

PAINTING:
For painting I gave as my usual an acrylic base with the airbrush, on the one hand I used a warm base and the on the other a cold base, so I increased the contrast between the two scenes.
On this basis I painted as always with acrylic colors, while maintaining the concept of warm/cold, I used on a side warm shadows and lighs (brown and beige) and on the other cold shadows and lights (blue and light blue).
For the glazing, the final washes and to add saturation to the scenes I used ink and then I realized the dirt on the darker side with pigments and acrylics.







Max “Amon” Richiero

0 commenti:

Posta un commento