mercoledì 12 febbraio 2014

Weathering magazine issue 4 & 5 COMBO REVIEW

Hello readers,
Today I will offer you a combo review!
What is that, you say?
Well, simply put, I am lazy and I want to write only one big review instead of two.
Well, there is another reason, and one that I want to share with you:
two weeks ago I finally found some time to go and buy a few things to my favourite modelling shop in Milan. And by chance he had my numbers of "The Weathering Magazine": issue 4 and 5.
I went back home and started reading. Blimey! But the Mud issue was missing quite a lot of pages!!! And not just a few as I presumed when the shop vendor told me about "the few missing pages". Well, I said, let's try contacting the company itself.

I opened up my Facebook account and sent a message to Ammo of Mig. Honestly, I was very dubious about them answering me. During the years I contacted many companies (big, small and medium) asking for infos, but very few of them replied. Well, just after one day - ONE DAY - I was contacted by Rob, a team member. He told me the matter would be dealt by Spain headquarters. Well, after a few mail explaining in detail the problem (the issue was missing something like 12 pages), they asked my address so that they could send another issue replacing the one I had purchased.


THIS IS HOW IT IS DONE! WELL DONE! WONDERFUL CUSTOMER SERVICE! LEARN FROM THEM!
Yesterday I got the issue in the mail.
And here we are.
Issue 4: oil and engines



pages:  66
price:   8,00€

I have mixed feelings about this issue. As figurine and sometimes scifi vehicles painter, I found all these articles about engines and oil a little bit dull. Let me explain. The target for these magazines are vehicles painters (I want to be as general as possible). More specifically those who want to achieve a realistic look. For them the articles are a trove of references and techniques. For people like me who would like to do things more fantastic, they are a bit boring. What I need is plasma residues and Unobtanium scorch marks!!! Eh, eh, eh.
Infact my favourite articles are those treating scifi veichles/mechs.
Look at the pictures to get the idea of the contents









Issue 5: Mud
The first one and the second one, but with all the pages!!!

pages:   70
price:    8,00€

This is one awesome issue!
The numbers of techniques, the differente mediums, the different landscapes are incredibly varied and convincing. All the articles can be used in any scenario and world I can think about (mech, tanks, figurines, fantasy, scifi, historical...). Basically the articles present you a chance to learn how to make "normal" terrain (not completely dry) and muddy terrain.The first part usually shows how to prepare the base, then briefly, the terrain and finally the mud part.
Let me be clear, more than the other issue, you will be asked to use specific earth products to achieve those phenomenal results. Well, take it responsibly, because except for a few very interesting products(eg enamel earth effects), all the results can be achieved using one technique or the others. Well, using only acrylics would be an enormous enterprise, but you be the judge.







In my opinion there is one article that really shines for inventivness and creativity:Autumn Road by Rubén Gonzalez. There are no veichles but it's pure WWII diorama! Just love it!


I want to end this big review addressing one complaint I heard quite a lot regarding the product placements in these magazines. People grumbles because "They want to sell more of their products". Well, yes, that's the point of making those products for lazy modellers. SELLING. But unlike the rest of the companies that sell modelling products they are honest about that, and instead let people, in one single magazine, see what they get and what they can achieve with them. And be honest! How many of you doesn't know another way to make more or less the same effects using many other products and time consuming experimentations?
Personally I will not buy all those fluid/effects/serums/powders. I will select just a few that I whink will be useful in my future works. But here's the deal: I learn new things while I am at it!

So go buy the magazines! They are little treasures and worth every damn euros!!!

Andrea "Kraan" Buratta

0 commenti:

Posta un commento